About the Board
The Palmyra-Macedon Central School District Board of Education is composed of nine members from our local communities. Voters elect members to serve overlapping three-year terms. At the end of his/her term, the board member can run for re-election. State law does not limit the number of terms that a member may serve. Voting for school board officials is held in conjunction with the annual budget vote in May.
Board of Education members are volunteer officials elected to take formal, legal actions and assume the major responsibility for the conduct of the schools. The Board of Education must delegate certain responsibilities to the Superintendent of Schools, who makes reports and recommendations to the Board of Education. Board members vote on all major business transactions.
School Board meetings are generally held one Tuesday per month with additional meetings as necessary and appropriate. The Superintendent of Schools sits at the table with the board members. Others sitting at the board table may include the District Clerk and members of the Superintendent's Cabinet.
What are the responsibilities of a Board of Education?
- The school board hires the superintendent, the “chief education officer” responsible for managing district staff and operations.
- The school board sets the priorities and adopts the budget that determine how millions in federal, state, and local tax dollars are spent.
- The school board sets goals for student achievement and evaluates progress toward those goals.
- The school board sets the policies that determine which courses and programs are offered and what texts, tools and technology are purchased.
- The school board, as the community’s elected representatives and fiscal stewards, ensures the district education program is in compliance with New York State laws and Regulations.
–From the NYS School Boards Association. Learn more at http://nyssba.org
Meetings of the Board of Education, with limited exceptions, are held in public. In order to perform its duties in an open and public manner, and in accordance with state law, the Board of Education shall hold regular business meetings once a month for the purpose of conducting the business of the school district. The agenda of the regular monthly meeting is available to the public prior to the meeting.
Although subject to change, the general order of the agenda shall be:
- Call to order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Public Participation*
- Board Reports
- Consent Agenda – may include but is not limited to the following:
- Approval of minutes from last meeting
- Approval of warrants, bids, payments, and change orders
- Acceptance of gifts
- Execution of agreements
- Approval of CSE/CPSE recommendations
- Personnel Report
- Leaders 2 Leaders
- Other Items
- Public Participation
The Board of Education (BOE) encourages public participation on school related matters. At the same time, the BOE honors the District’s chain of contact. In order to handle problems in the most effective way, it is extremely important to first contact the staff member most directly involved with the question or concern.
If the chain of contact has been followed, persons wishing to then address the BOE at one of its regular meetings during the public comment session of the agenda can review the procedures for doing so here.
Contact the Board by Emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com.